Winter is a merry-making season for most of us because of Christmas and the joy of a New year. It’s all about celebration with family, food and spending good time with near and dear ones. It is the magical time of the year when you spread love through food and bonding.
Everyone craves for holiday treats and being a mom how could I say no to my little ones. Their smile and giggle said it all when I was about to pop this gorgeous beauty into the oven. The excitement level was further augmented the moment they knew that it was a muffin.
This season is all about cakes, muffins and other sweet savouries. Cranberries and Oranges are in season now, though getting fresh cranberries is almost next to impossible in India. I had to settle down with dried ones which I availed from Amazon.
It was love at first sight when I first saw them in one of my friend’s Insta feed. The red vibrant colour of the cranberries rendered beautiful texture and added oomph to those edible beauties. I decided to bake them before oranges disappear from the market .
Last weekend I donned my chef cap and baked these beauties.The entire house was smelling divine with the aroma of cranberry orange muffins topped with orange zest and sugar.Forget about my twinnies, I devoured them like anything with my hot coffee mug the moment they popped out of the oven.
Though I missed bringing that vibrant red colour in my muffins as I had used the dried ones but it still tasted heavenly.
Brace yourself with the recipe and bake this gorgeous muffin this winter. The recipe is simple and baking time is just 12-15mins.
All purpose flour – 2 & 1/2 cup
Sugar- 1 & 1/8 cup
Veg oil – 1/4 cup
Butter – 4 Tbsp (melted and cooled )
Baking powder – 2 & 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Orange juice – 1 cup
Fresh cranberries – 1 & 1/2 cup (save some for toppings)
Orange Zest – 1/2 orange
For Toppings :
1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 Orange zest
1. Pre- heat the oven at 220°C or 425 ° F. Whisk all dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Take another bowl and whisk the egg with castor sugar until thick and pale yellow in colour.
3. Add butter and veg oil till it’s smooth.
4. Further, add fresh orange juice, vanilla extract and orange zest. Mix it thoroughly.
5. Pour dry ingredients to the bowl having wet ingredients and gently blend it.
6. At the end add some cranberies , orange zest and sugar as topping. You can use muffin tray to bake or muffin cups. I did not have the patience to wait till the procurement of cups. So baked with the muffin tray.
7. Tip : Whenever you bake a cake or muffin and want to add choco chips, nuts or berries do add them in the flour first. When the additives get coated with flour it never sinks down in the batter and get charred in the bottom while baking.
Up here in North India, it’s freezing cold but this mouth-watering baked muffin with piping hot coffee will make your day for sure.
Though I am not a baker, at times I try my hands out in making cakes and muffins as they are my twinnies favourite. Not to lie mine too.
If your kids don’t have sweet tooth then try out this Veggie Muffin. It’s also a good way of giving veggies if they are reluctant to have them.
You can also read 5 Quick and Easy Tiffin ideas.