With the rising sun of the morning ,a question starts hovering around every mom’s head “what’s for breakfast” ?It further causes headache for working mom’s as they don’t have the liberty of time .
Something to serve quickly and does not questions the health quotient .So , here’s a healthy & yummy solution for all mom’s . You have to invest time only once and you can serve it for 3-4 days without any botheration. Moreover , you don’t have to nag or show your raised eyebrows asking them to clear the plates.
“BANANA CAKE” it can be camouflaged in three variations ,Egg , Eggless and chocolate version, which again is kids favourite.
Before I delve into the recipes of each version let me highlight the health benefits of banana.
- Energy booster
- Improves digestion
- Vitamin B6
- Helps in weight gain
Vegan Banana cake
Author: Debidutta Mohanty
Prep time:20 mins ;Baking time:40 mins
Ingredients: 1 cup =250 ml
- 1.5cup whole wheat flour (atta/ maida)180gm
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup regular sugar or unrefined cane sugar or 100gm sugar
- 3-4 large sized ripened bananas
- 2/3 cup any neutral flavoured oil (Olive oil , here I have used sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-6 tablespoon warm or hot milk
- 5-10 chopped or grated almonds add dry fruits of your choice ( walnuts , cashew , raisin ,choco chips etc.)
How to make Banana cake
1. Pre heating of oven is vital , it gives good texture to your cake. If you have regular oven preheat both top and bottom elements.I have microwave convection oven ,I preheat at 180°C or 350°F .
Step by step Eggless Banana cake recipe
1. Peel the ripened bananas and mash it with fork , make sure there are no lumps.You can also use the blender for same .I have used blender as it is smooth and takes less effort.
2.Sieve all the dry ingredients that is flour (atta) ,baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt.Sieve it in a plate or bowl however suits you.
Placed in a bowl after sieving all dry ingredients.
3.Now take another bowl for wet ingredients you can take half cup butter or if you want little healthier version then take any neutral flavoured oil (Olive oil or sunflower oil ).I have taken sunflower oil and add lil butter to it for good aroma , your total measurement should be half cup only ( both oil and butter).I also warm the oil a bit so that butter melts completely and camouflage the typical smell of oil.Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract to it.Followed by banana mash.Whip it well so that sugar dissolves completely along with banana mash and oil.
4.Fold the dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients,also add chopped almonds , walnuts or any other dry fruits of your choice to the batter.Fold the ingredients by using cut and fold method.In case you find the cake batter too thick add few tablespoon of hot or warm milk.It helps in making your cake fluffy and soft.
5. Final step , grease your baking pan with butter both the bottom as well as sides .Pour the batter in the pan , make sure you don’t pour it in one place .
6.Now place your baking pan in the preheated oven at 180°C /350°F for 35 mins . Place the pan in the middle of the rack while using OTG or regular oven. Check the middle portion of the cake with toothpick or knife , if it comes clean your cake is ready. If not ,set it for another 5-10 mins.Your yummlicious cake is ready to rock with your kids.
Author’s Recipe tips
- Stick to the measurement , in bakery the more accurate the measurement the more perfect is the outcome.
- Sieve the dry ingredients, by doing this you trap air that helps in baking and making your cake fluffy and soft.
- Temperature and time of baking differs depending on size of baking pan and oven.Don’t open your oven before 20 mins of baking it does not allow the cake to swell , it would taste gooey .
EGG BANANA CAKE
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 2.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4th cup of neutral flavoured oil or 100 gms butter
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (To adjust consistency of batter)
How to make Egg Banana cake
1. Preheat the oven at 180°C .
2. Sieve the whole wheat flour (atta or maida) along with baking powder, salt.
3. Take a big bowl to mix all wet ingredients. Melt butter ,add powdered sugar to it beat till fluffy and light.Add egg one by one and beat it .Add vanilla extract and mashed banana.
4.Start putting sieved flour into the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix it gently , don’t over do it.
5.Grease the bottom and sides of the pan by butter (melted off course).Place it in the middle of oven or OTG
6.Bake for 25-30mins at 180°C if it’s 8 by 8 square pan .For different shapes the time varies. Mine is round shaped so it took 35-40 mins.
Use your creativity to make your cake more attractive, kids are always fascinated by colour , shapes and decorations. I have used muffin tray and small butter paper cups to give different shapes. Here you go…..
For Chocolate Banana cake you just need to add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients mentioned in above recipes.You can bake them in muffin trays giving different shapes. Grease the trays before pouring batter.
Hope this post of mine is a great help to all mommies out there .You can serve your kids with glass of milk and you are done with breakfast. You can also give them as evening snacks after they come home sloshed from playgrounds, an instant tasty , energy booster.
So, what are you waiting for, put on your cooking aprons and prepare this healthy & yummy recipe for your munchkins😊.