The statistic of Infertility in the world is jaw dropping. It’s around 8- 12 percent worldwide. Approximately, one in eight woman faces infertility during her reproductive age.
The Infertility clinics these days are mushrooming and has given a ray of hope to thousands of infertile couple who struggle to attain parenthood. Several think that doctors pushes their patients to adopt IVF as it’s an expensive affair and a good way of minting money for the clinic.
Thanks to Sir Robert Geoffrey Edwards and Patrick Steptoe, who founded the first IVF program for infertile patients paving way to light the lives of millions of infertile couple who are lost in dark tunnels of despondency.
Here, I am suggesting few pointers wherein you can decide whether it’s a right technique of ART ( Artificial Reproductive Technologies) mentioned to you by your doctor or a gimmick . I am not a professional but, Yes, I have gone through the long tedious process and realized few mistakes that we should not have made while pursuing parenthood.We, as a couple were little apprehensive about the whole IVF process thinking that IVF babies are not healthy and more prone to cancer. A common myth that grips IVF, as a result of which I had 5 unsuccessful IUI attempts. Ideally, 3 attempts are enough to declare that this method is not working for you, but we went for 5 attempts as we had made up our minds for not seeking help through IVF .
The Sequence of treatment
1. Firstly, you undergo various blood tests to identify the optimum levels of hormone required for this treatment.
- FSH (follicle stimulating hormone)
- LH ( Luteinizing hormone)
- TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone)
- PRL ( prolactin)
2. Ultrasound to access ovaries
3. After above two tests your tubes ie. Fallopian tubes are tested to see whether they are functional and open. Usually, they conduct dye tests for Fallopian tubes or take an x-ray by injecting iodine into your uterus.
4. If all the above tests including your tubes tests are normal and you are less than 30 years of age . Usually, doctors prescribe medicines and encourage to try naturally to conceive.
5. If any of the above tests have any discrepancy then first those discrepancy are treated to carryout further treatment for conceiving.
6. If you fail to conceive naturally, or you are above 30 years of age then IUI ( Intrauterine Insemination) is recommended .In this process the sperms of your partner are artificially injected into your uterus at the time of ovulation. This treatment also works out for several couples and is less expensive as well as time taking. Every month a new attempt can be made with your menstrual cycle.
7. In case, your uterus and hormone levels are perfect but Fallopian tubes are not functional or closed then doctors opt for IVF ( In Vitro fertilization) . In this technique the tubes play no role as the embryo is created outside that is in test tubes, hence the name test tube babies. The embryos are then graded and most healthy ones are injected so that your chances of conceiving increases and miscarriage decreases.
Mostly, miscarriages happen due to chromosomal or genetic defects, it’s a nature’s way of discarding the weak embryos.
So, if you are opting for ART techniques then follow your doctor’s advice and step into those fertility clinics where success rate is high. In spite of healthy and functional tubes at times IUI does not workout so don’t waste your time and money after 3 attempts . It’s better to opt for IVF, for successful IVF choose your doctor and clinic wisely.